Appanoose County Historical Society
About Us
ACHS Navigation Bar
ACHS Address
Black Block

The first museum was opened May 5, 1928 in the Drake Free Public Library.  By May 28, 1929, the society was organized with 45 charter members.

The society was reorganized on February 3, 1968 and the Articles of Incorporation were approved.  The Artifacts were moved to 3 rooms in the vacated school building in Numa.  The building was sold and the artifacts were moved out in the fall of 1971 and placed in storage.

On August 31, 1973 the Appanoose County Historical Society received the title to the old County Jail & Sheriffs quarters, and the artifacts were displayed there for several years.

In August 1982, the vacated former Post Office building was purchased from the United States Postal Service.  Soon after possession, the roof was repaired, the building air-conditioned, and the artifacts were moved in.  This beautiful Georgian style building was constructed in 1903 and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978.

The Appanoose County Historical Society is a non-profit, historical, educational corporation.   Operation & maintenance is dependent on membership dues and contributions, which are tax-deductible.

Hours of Operation:

Summer Hours: (April 1 to October 31)

Winter Hours: (November 1 to March 31)

Holiday Closings:

Admission is $4.00 for adults and $1.00 for students

We are located at 100 West Maple Street, this is the intersection of Highway 2 and Main Street in Centerville, Iowa. For a map, click here.

Telephone: (641) 856-8040

Email: appanoosehistory@yahoo.com

home